Andy Murray ‘not supportive’ of controversial Wimbledon to ban players

Andy Murray has added his name to the chorus of players criticising Wimbledon for their decision to ban Russian and Belarusian players this year.

The Championships took the controversial decision in response to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, becoming the first tennis tournament to take the step.

Previously, both the ATP and WTA have restricted any sanctions to players from Russia and Belarus not being able to play under their nation’s flag, but Wimbledon have gone a step further.

Players from the affected countries will be allowed to play should they sign a statement opposing the war, but Murray believes that has inherent safety concerns.

“I’m not supportive of players getting banned,” Murray told reporters in Madrid.

“The guidance from the government was not helpful.

“My understanding of the guidance was that Russians and Belarusians can play if they sign a declaration that they’re against the war and against the Russian regime.

“I’m not sure how comfortable I would feel if something happened to one of the players or their families [as a result of signing the form].”

When asked what solution Andy Murray suggests, he replied: “I don’t think there’s a right answer.

“I have spoken to some of the Russian players, I’ve spoken to some of the Ukrainian players.

“I feel really bad for the players who aren’t allowed to play and I get that it will seem unfair to them.

“But I also know some of the people who work at Wimbledon, and I know how difficult a position they were in.

“I feel for everyone, feel for the players that can’t play, and I don’t support one side or the other.”

Please follow Tennisbuzz on Twitter and Instagram, and you can like us on Facebook by clicking here.

For more exclusive content from Tennisbuzz, including news, features, trivia, promotions and more, please be sure to sign up for our newsletter below or via our home page.

Why not test your tennis knowledge by tackling one of our fiendish quizzes too?

Other News

Emma Raducanu delivers injury update following Roland Garros exit

Emma Raducanu left Roland Garros free from injury and pain, which she said was 'the biggest win.'The British number one and US Open champion...

‘I am happy’ – Daniil Medvedev continues clay court improvement

Daniil Medvedev continued his impeccable start at Roland Garros by beating the impressive Laslo Djere in round two.Medvedev has never made any secret of...

Leolia Jeanjean says she ‘doesn’t know what’s happening’ after dream Roland Garros run

Leolia Jeanjean seemed to be the most confused person at Roland Garros after she recorded a superb win over eighth seed Karolina Pliskova.The 26-year-old...

Andy Murray takes swipe at Naomi Osaka, telling her: ‘Wimbledon will never be an exhibition!’

Andy Murray has appeared to take a swipe at Naomi Osaka and anyone else who thinks Wimbledon will just be 'an exhibition' this year.The...

Rafael Nadal confident he can manage injury after winning 300th Grand Slam match

Rafael Nadal secured his 300th win at a Grand Slam at Roland Garros on Wednesday before saying he was feeling in control of his...

‘I’ll never be at Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic level,’ admits Alexander Zverev

Alexander Zverev came through a serious Roland Garros scare before admitting his performance was so bad he was already planning his holiday.Zverev faced Sebastian...

Subscribe to our newsletter

Don't miss a thing from Tennisbuzz - get all the latest tennis news, exclusive content and competitions, and tennis trivia teasers all delivered to your inbox.

Related articles

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here