‘I dare not imagine complete cancellation of Roland Garros,’ says French tennis official

The French Open at Roland Garros is on track to take place as scheduled at the moment, but a wave of uncertainty has hit France as another full lockdown is enforced.

With just over seven weeks to go until the planned start of the French Open on May 23, France have been forced into a full four week lockdown over rising coronavirus cases.

The tournament was postponed last year from its original May start to a September date, with a maximum of 1000 spectators a day, but many players voiced concerns with the colder temperatures and conditions.

The president of the French tennis federation, Gilles Moretton, has said that although they are still hoping the Grand Slam can go ahead as planned, they are unsure what measures will have to be taken.

“We are studying a lot of options for Roland Garros 2021,” said Moretton.

“There is the total range … or almost total because I dare not imagine a 100 percent crowd level.

“But that can start from behind closed doors to a level that will not be 100 percent. All the options with us are ready.”

“At the moment we are on track, the tournament is on the scheduled dates.

“But if we are told a general confinement for two months, we will necessarily have to take measures—at worst, complete cancellation, but I dare not imagine that.”

The France lockdown includes school closures, a 7pm curfew for all and a 10km movement limit which will be reviewed at the end of the April, only three weeks before Roland Garros begins.

Moretton says they are in contact with the players over their concerns and are interested to see how other tournaments taking place in the next few weeks will approach safety measures.

‘We meet all the players regularly,” Moretton continued on the subject of current actions.

“Before us, there are other tournaments like Monte Carlo which takes place on the same territory [and Madrid and Rome] are tournaments not too far away.”

Please follow Tennisbuzz on Twitter and Instagram, and you can like us on Facebook by clicking here.

For more exclusive content from Tennisbuzz, including news, features, trivia, promotions and more, please be sure to sign up for our newsletter below or via our home page.

Why not test your tennis knowledge by tackling one of our fiendish quizzes too?

Other News

‘Novak Djokovic will not stop until he has all the records,’ says Alexander Zverev

Alexander Zverev says he is astounded by how hungry Novak Djokovic still is to break tennis records and believes he won't stop until he...

‘The ATP Finals is the breakthrough I want to make,’ says Felix Auger Aliassime

Felix Auger Aliassime says he hopes Toni Nadal will bring 'experience at the highest level' to help him achieve his year end goal -...

‘Rafael Nadal is absolutely fine,’ says publicist after COVID scare

Rafael Nadal is 'absolutely fine' despite playing with a COVID-infected Daniil Medvedev in Monte-Carlo on Monday.Medvedev was forced to withdraw from the tournament after...

‘Jannik Sinner has all the guns to win the greatest titles,’ says Novak Djokovic

Novak Djokovic says Jannik Sinner has 'all the guns' to reach the top in tennis ahead of their mouth-watering Monte-Carlo clash.Sinner's powerful baseline game...

‘ATP conflicts of interest and lack of transparency hurts the sport,’ says American

Steve Johnson has accused the ATP of protecting themselves rather than looking out for the interests of the players.The coronavirus crisis has necessitated that...

‘At some point you’ll get hungry again’ – Dominic Thiem opens up on burnout struggles

Dominic Thiem has lifted the lid on his recent mental struggles, admitting he needed to try to 'get hungry' for tennis again.Since winning the...

Subscribe to our newsletter

Don't miss a thing from Tennisbuzz - get all the latest tennis news, exclusive content and competitions, and tennis trivia teasers all delivered to your inbox.

Related articles

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here