Novak Djokovic has announced he has withdrawn from the Miami Masters so he can spend more time with his family.
Djokovic stated after he won the Australian Open and surpassed Roger Federer for most weeks at world number one, that he would be easing back on his schedule.
That was partly to keep himself fresh for the Grand Slams, but also so he could be home more.
“Dear fans, I’m very sorry to announce that this year I won’t travel to Miami to compete,” Djokovic said on social media.
“I decided to use this precious time at home to stay with my family. With all restrictions, I need to find balance in my time on tour and at home.
“I look forward to coming back next year!”
Dear fans, I’m very sorry to announce that this year I won’t travel to Miami to compete. I decided to use this precious time at home to stay with my family. With all restrictions, I need to find balance in my time on tour and at home. I look forward to coming back next year!
— Novak Djokovic (@DjokerNole) March 19, 2021
The Miami Masters will now not have any of the ‘big three’ playing with Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer already pulling out.
World number four Dominic Thiem has also withdrawn saying, like Nadal, he prefers to focus on his preparations for the clay season.
After winning the Australian Open, Djokovic said: “I will have to revise my schedule comparing to the last year or any other season before this.
“I explained my reasons why. Obviously time away from family definitely is something that has an impact on me.
“I’ll have to see with these rules and regulations and restrictions in place all over the world, Europe, not being able to take my family on the road is something that is a big problem for me.”
For more exclusive content from Tennisbuzz, including news, features, trivia, promotions and more, please be sure to sign up for our newsletter below or via our home page.
Why not test your tennis knowledge by tackling one of our fiendish quizzes too?