‘I’m giving myself a chance’ Nick Kyrgios hits headlines ahead of Australian Open

Nick Kyrgios has once again hit the headlines for his on-court antics ahead of the Australian Open, but thinks he has done enough to give himself a chance.

Kyrgios returned to tennis this week after a year long sabbatical, withdrawing himself from the ATP Tour last year for safety concerns through the coronavirus pandemic.

The Australian made his comeback at the ATP Murray River Open, winning twice before bowing out to Borna Coric in his third match, however each encounter wasn’t without its own Kyrgios-shaped controversy.

In the first match against Alexandre Muller, Kyrgios won in three sets but got frustrated at the ball boys through the game, ending in a heated exchange with the umpire with Kyrgios shouting “It’s your job to not let that happen.”

In the second match, against fellow Australian Henry Bourchier, Kyrgios consistently vented his anger at the chair for hurrying him when drying himself with a towel and things came to head when he received a time penalty while serving.

Kyrgios called the umpire a “smart a***’, stopped the game, walked off court and refused to play for several minutes until he could speak to a match supervisor.  He went on to win the match in straight sets.

In the third clash, which he lost to Borna Coric, Kyrgios received a warning early on in the game for a expletive-laden rant before smashing his racket off the ground and throwing its battered frame into the empty stands, receiving a point penalty in return.

Kyrgios now has a few days to take stock before his Australian Open push which will begin with a first round tie against qualifier Frederico Ferreira Silva.

A big question remains over whether Kyrgios is ready both mentally and physically for the demands of a Grand Slam, after such a long break from the sport.

“I can’t serve without pain… when I land it feels unstable,” Kyrgios told an on-court physio in his last match.

After the game Kyrgios admitted to injury worries, but said he’d rather not dwell on it and still believes he has given himself a chance.

“I was going through some pain during last year and I’ve always had kind of knee issues, especially with my left knee.

“It was something pretty serious and I’d rather not talk about it” he said.

“I did everything I could to get it better and be able to play and I’m lucky I’m healthy enough to play.”

“There’s a massive question mark for me, even if I was completely healthy, [after] not playing in a year.

“It’s not easy to just turn around and prepare for an event just like that. It’s not like a tap.

“I thought I did everything I could this week. I won a couple of matches, I had a lot of court time and practised every day, as well.

“I think I’m ticking the boxes, I think I’m giving myself a chance.”

Please follow Tennisbuzz on Twitter and Instagram, and you can like us on Facebook by clicking here.

For more exclusive content from Tennisbuzz, including news, features, trivia, promotions and more, please be sure to sign up for our newsletter below or via our home page.

Why not test your tennis knowledge by tackling one of our fiendish quizzes too?

Other News

‘I can finally see myself competing with Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal again,’ says Kei Nishikori

Kei Nishikori says he can see himself being able to compete with Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal again for the first time in months. Nishikori...

Daniil Medvedev to leapfrog Rafael Nadal in rankings with big three dominance finally showing signs of decline

Men's tennis will have a new name inside its top two for the first time in 16 years on Monday, with Daniil Medvedev breaking...

‘The only suspense at Roland Garros is to learn who Rafael Nadal will beat in the final,’ says Patrick Mouratoglou

The only suspense to the men's singles competition at Roland Garros is finding out who Rafael Nadal will beat in the final, says Patrick...

‘I’m just trying to focus on my mindset,’ says Roger Federer ahead of Doha return

Roger Federer is making his much-anticipated return to tennis in Doha this week after a year away from the sport and says he is...

Roger Federer: ‘Novak Djokovic is one of the greatest players ever’

Roger Federer has been praising rival Novak Djokovic ahead of his much anticipated return to tennis.  Federer was forced to take a year out of...

Novak Djokovic updates his schedule by confirming his next three tournaments

Novak Djokovic provisionally intends to play the Miami Open at the end of this month, his website has revealed. Djokovic suffered an abdominal tear whilst...

Subscribe to our newsletter

Don't miss a thing from Tennisbuzz - get all the latest tennis news, exclusive content and competitions, and tennis trivia teasers all delivered to your inbox.

Related articles

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here