Nick Kyrgios pulls out of Doha as his ATP Tour self-exile continues

Nick Kyrgios appears set to resume his self-exile from tennis after pulling out of the Doha Open next week.

The Australian withdrew himself from the ATP Tour in 2020 as he was uncomfortable with travelling during the coronavirus crisis.

He returned to the court last month at the Australian Open, though, and put on a really eye-catching display in front of the Melbourne crowd.

Kyrgios eventually lost in the third round to Dominic Thiem in a thrilling encounter, but it’s certainly fair to say he left his mark on the tournament – and in a much more positive way than many times before.

After his Australian Open exit, Kyrgios was coy about his plans for the future, saying: “I can change like the wind.

“I’m not too sure, depending on what happens with COVID in Australia, you know, I’m assuming we will probably settle it pretty quickly.

“But I don’t know how I’ll have to quarantine in overseas tournaments.

“For me personally, man, I’m used to playing in front of packed stadiums.

“I’m not gonna force myself around the world when the time is not right where I have to quarantine for a week and then play. I don’t know, I’m not too sure what lies ahead.”

As well as Kyrgios, Gael Monfils has also pulled out of Doha, which will be Roger Federer’s first tournament in over a year.

Please follow Tennisbuzz on Twitter and Instagram, and you can like us on Facebook by clicking here.

For more exclusive content from Tennisbuzz, including news, features, trivia, promotions and more, please be sure to sign up for our newsletter below or via our home page.

Why not test your tennis knowledge by tackling one of our fiendish quizzes too?

Other News

‘Novak Djokovic will not stop until he has all the records,’ says Alexander Zverev

Alexander Zverev says he is astounded by how hungry Novak Djokovic still is to break tennis records and believes he won't stop until he...

‘The ATP Finals is the breakthrough I want to make,’ says Felix Auger Aliassime

Felix Auger Aliassime says he hopes Toni Nadal will bring 'experience at the highest level' to help him achieve his year end goal -...

‘Rafael Nadal is absolutely fine,’ says publicist after COVID scare

Rafael Nadal is 'absolutely fine' despite playing with a COVID-infected Daniil Medvedev in Monte-Carlo on Monday.Medvedev was forced to withdraw from the tournament after...

‘Jannik Sinner has all the guns to win the greatest titles,’ says Novak Djokovic

Novak Djokovic says Jannik Sinner has 'all the guns' to reach the top in tennis ahead of their mouth-watering Monte-Carlo clash.Sinner's powerful baseline game...

‘ATP conflicts of interest and lack of transparency hurts the sport,’ says American

Steve Johnson has accused the ATP of protecting themselves rather than looking out for the interests of the players.The coronavirus crisis has necessitated that...

‘At some point you’ll get hungry again’ – Dominic Thiem opens up on burnout struggles

Dominic Thiem has lifted the lid on his recent mental struggles, admitting he needed to try to 'get hungry' for tennis again.Since winning the...

Subscribe to our newsletter

Don't miss a thing from Tennisbuzz - get all the latest tennis news, exclusive content and competitions, and tennis trivia teasers all delivered to your inbox.

Related articles

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here