Rafael Nadal says he is not worried about catching Covid despite practicing with Matteo Berrettini, who was forced to withdraw due to a positive test.
Berrettini was the defeated finalist in SW19 last year and he was considered a major favourite to go one better this time around.
However, he had to withdraw on Tuesday before he had even played a single shot in the tournament due to testing positive for Covid.
That has made many question whether Nadal was at risk due to a pre-tournament practice session on Centre Court with the Italian, but he says feels he has nothing to be concerned about.
"I don't think I can be considered a close contact of Matteo when we were training outdoors, but anything can happen," Nadal said.
"At the moment I feel good, and the main thing is that I am very sorry for the situation for him. I just hope he recovers as soon as possible."
Rafael Nadal was in the same half of the draw as Matteo Berrettini, as well as Marin Cilic who was also forced to withdraw due to Covid.
He, though, has pointed out that players are not under any obligation to even take Covid tests if they do not want to.
"Matteo had been sick for a couple of days, and what I know is that it's up to you if you want to take a test. If it's positive, you're out.
"We can discuss the rules as many times as we want, but those are the ones, and we must follow them, because if not, the world would be a disaster."
Rafael Nadal will continue his quest for a third Wimbledon title - and a Calendar Grand Slam - against Ricardas Berankis on Thursday.
For more exclusive content from Tennisbuzz, including news, features, trivia, promotions and more, please be sure to sign up for our newsletter below or via our home page.
Why not test your tennis knowledge by tackling one of our fiendish quizzes too?