Simona Halep ‘not feeling 100 per cent’ as she withdraws from Dubai

Simona Halep has admitted that she is not quite ready to return to the court again after withdrawing from next week’s WTA 1000 tournament in Dubai.

After pulling out of this week’s event in Qatar, the current defending champion announced via twitter on Thursday that she would not be able to compete due to a lower back injury.

“Unfortunately I am not feeling 100 per cent in my lower back and I have made the tough decision to withdraw from Dubai”, said Halep.

“I have great memories from winning my 20th WTA title in Dubai last year so I’m disappointed that I won’t be able to defend my title”. 

The current world number two won the title here last year by beating the up and coming Kazakh Elena Rybakina in three tough sets. 

Her thrilling run to the title included another three set battle with Ons Jabeur in the last 16, where she had to save a match point in the final set tiebreaker. 

Halep’s Australian summer was slightly disappointing. After losing in two quick sets to Ekaterina Alexandrova in the Gippsland Trophy, many were sceptical of her fitness level heading into the first grand slam of the year.

However, a decent showing in Melbourne saw her reach the quarter finals once again, losing in straight sets to Serena Williams. 

Halep’s next scheduled tournament is in Miami, which runs between March 22 and April 4. This will be the first tournament where old ranking points will start to drop after the Covid-19 alterations, so players will once again need to defend their rankings. 

Please follow Tennisbuzz on Twitter and Instagram, and you can like us on Facebook by clicking here.

For more exclusive content from Tennisbuzz, including news, features, trivia, promotions and more, please be sure to sign up for our newsletter below or via our home page.

Why not test your tennis knowledge by tackling one of our fiendish quizzes too?

Other News

‘I am practicing well’ – Rafael Nadal says Australian Open injury behind him

Rafael Nadal says he is fully recovered from the injury that robbed him of his 'positive feeling' at the Australian Open.Nadal says he travelled...

‘Biggest achievement of my career’ – Novak Djokovic assesses incredible record

Novak Djokovic says the historic world number one record is the 'biggest achievement of his career' so far.Djokovic surpassed Roger Federer's previous record of...

Daniil Medvedev: ‘It is funny that I am seeded above Rafael Nadal for Monte-Carlo’

Daniil Medvedev says it is 'funny' that he is seeded above Rafael Nadal at the Monte-Carlo Masters given their contrasting fortunes on clay. Medvedev climbed...

Novak Djokovic defends Roland Garros delay: ‘From their perspective, it was the right call’

Novak Djokovic has remained diplomatic in the row over the Roland Garros delay, insisting it's important to appreciate everyone has a different perspective. Roland Garros...

‘I am good, I am confident and I am playing well,’ says Rafael Nadal ahead of Monte-Carlo Masters

Rafael Nadal says his body is in great shape and he's feeling confident and playing well ahead of his first Monte-Carlo Masters match.The Spaniard...

‘Honestly, there is nothing I like on clay,’ says Daniil Medvedev

Daniil Medvedev has openly admitted to disliking clay court tennis ahead of the Monte-Carlo Masters where he is seeded in second place.Medevev, a hard-court...

Subscribe to our newsletter

Don't miss a thing from Tennisbuzz - get all the latest tennis news, exclusive content and competitions, and tennis trivia teasers all delivered to your inbox.

Related articles

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here