Wimbledon confirm intent to return in 2021 with three possible coronavirus plans in place

Wimbledon WILL return in 2021 in whatever capacity possible, officials have confirmed, as long as the British government allow it.

This year saw the first time the Championships had been cancelled since the Second World War due to the coronavirus crisis.

It was the only Grand Slam not to go ahead during the year, although they did not take a financial hit due to an usually comprehensive insurance policy.

Next year will be different, though, with the added time being used to plan for three levels of fan engagement depending on how quickly the UK can get the coronavirus contained.

“The AELTC is pleased to provide an update on The Championships 2021,” a statement read.

“We are actively engaged in planning for next year’s Championships and are considering multiple operational scenarios at this point in time, given that there are still many months until the Wimbledon Fortnight.

“These scenarios fall into three broad categories: a full capacity Championships, a reduced capacity Championships, and a ‘behind closed doors’ Championships, all of which are dependent on the status of government and public health guidelines.

“Our overriding priority will continue to be the health and safety of all of our stakeholders, in particular our guests, our staff, and our competitors.

“We are working closely with the relevant government and public health authorities, alongside the rest of the sports industry, to understand the varying challenges and opportunities presented by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.”

Novak Djokovic and Simona Halep are the reigning Wimbledon singles champions.

Please follow Tennisbuzz on Twitter and Instagram, and you can like us on Facebook by clicking here.

For more exclusive content from Tennisbuzz, including news, features, trivia, promotions and more, please be sure to sign up for our newsletter below or via our home page.

Why not test your tennis knowledge by tackling one of our fiendish quizzes too?

Other News

Andy Murray to practice with Novak Djokovic, although Roland Garros plans remain unclear

Andy Murray has revealed he will practice with world number one Novak Djokovic ahead of his latest comeback bid.Murray suffered what he described as...

‘I’m surprised to be in the Madrid semi-finals,’ says Dominic Thiem

Dominic Thiem says he is pleasantly surprised by his own performance in Madrid and that 'everything is working quite well' as he reaches semi-finals.The...

‘Ashleigh Barty is looking unstoppable,’ says Annabel Croft

Ashleigh Barty plays without fear and is looking unstoppable says Annabel Croft ahead of the Madrid Masters final on Saturday.Barty will take on Aryna...

‘I know I can do it,’ says Alexander Zverev on Dominic Thiem rematch

Alexander Zverev has admitted that he will have his last defeat to Dominic Thiem in mind when he faces him in the Madrid semi-final...

Rafael Nadal: ‘In the moments of truth, I have done everything wrong’

Rafael Nadal said he did 'everything wrong' in his Madrid Masters defeat to Alexander Zverev, and he is not very happy about it.Nadal was...

‘Beating Rafael Nadal in his house is incredible,’ says Alexander Zverev

Alexander Zverev outclassed Rafael Nadal at the Madrid Masters before declaring it one of the biggest wins of his career.The German came into the...

Subscribe to our newsletter

Don't miss a thing from Tennisbuzz - get all the latest tennis news, exclusive content and competitions, and tennis trivia teasers all delivered to your inbox.

Related articles

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here